landscape ideas and landscape design



Gabion Walls

All the rage with landscape designers, Gabion walls as simply rock walls contained by wire mesh. They are easy to construct and gabion baskets can either be custom built or purchased in kit form from most metal fabricators.

Large Gabion Walls

Gabion walls can be used as major retaining walls. They can be engineered to heights of 4 - 5 m with a stepped approach to add extra stability.


Usually handmade and Gabion walls are designed to suit a specific site, kit forms are available and these are suited more to aesthetic garden use than major structural components.

Particularly useful for sloping sites, Gabion walls allow water penetration and if properly constructed are long lasting. Gabion baskets need to designed to take the weight and stress of the rock fill.

Costs vary greatly for gabion retaining walls as the cost of the basket is one part and the cost of the rock will depend on type of rock, on some sites rock is free, on others you need to buy it in.

Unlike many other walls Gabion Walls usually do not require concrete foundations. The mesh used for construction is usually welded wire mesh although materials vary depending on site requirements and the size of the wall. Gabion walls may be flush faced vertical walls or inclined at 6 - 10 degrees

Gabion Walls in the Garden

As garden retaining walls these 'basket' type walls come into their own. They can be filled with any stone and even capped with flat stones if required.

Gabion wall with stone capping

A few factors need to be considered when using gabion walls.

  1. They need to be on a firm flat base.
  2. In areas where grass and other plants are present they should be constructed with a weed matt beneath them and sometimes a low aluminium barrier at the base to prevent weeds from creeping in.
  3. In the garden they will need a weed mat or membrane behind them to prevent soil from finding its way into the wall and providing a place for plants to grow through the wall.
  4. You may need a permit for certain heights, so consult your local council.




© 2013